Full course description
Falls are the leading cause of injury among older adults. Having vision loss puts an individual at higher risk for falls. In this course, an interdisciplinary team from Vision Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired, a non-profit agency in New York, bring focus to this important topic. Learn how to identify individuals at risk for falls, learn about home safety checklist, and modifications and strategies to help prevent falls. This course was written by William Hixson, Travis Joseph, Teddy Kern, and Julie Spodnick.
This course is available for 1-hour CRC, ACVREP, and NBPCB credit.
- Identify participants who are a fall risk,
- Recognize how vision loss impacts falls,
- Describe the four common eye conditions for older adults,
- Describe assistive devices,
- Discuss home safety checklists and modifications for individuals who are visually impaired,
- Increase awareness of evidence-based programs,
- Identify when and from whom to obtain help, and
- Identify interventions for visual impairments.
For daily content relevant to the field of blindness and low vision, connect with us on social media: